Monday, January 20, 2014

MLK Jr. On The Roles Of Science And Religion


I'm old enough to remember when Martin Luther King Jr., was a force on the American scene. Well do I remember that sad day in April 1968 when his life came to a tragic and violent end. We children were sent home early from school as the smell of unrest hung thickly in the air.
 
King's liberalism - both socially and religiously - was not widely admired here in the southern United States. In fact, it isn't widely popular here today. But our country remembers King at this time every year, and I do too - although I only came to really appreciate his wisdom years after his death,
 
MLK Jr. was a religious leader, moral philosopher, as well an activist for civil rights. It is fair to say that his spirituality gave an impetus to his his broader objectives and work.
 
As my remembrance I'm posting the following words of his, which so eloquently resonate with me:
 
Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals.
 
That is where I stand. That is how I view the matter. I want to do what I feel is important because it is the right thing for me to do. King's spiritual outlook was his driving force. He can serve as example. 

1 comment:

  1. Philosophically, he is one of my heroes, who I can now admit that I completely bypassed as a young man.

    ReplyDelete